Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laptop Doesn't Turn On

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Hey Guys,

My laptop went dead yesterday, my girlfriend plugged everything in then put the plug in halfway by accident. This couldn't have gone good.

The laptop adapter still outputs the 20v it needs. When plugged in the laptop battery charging light flickers orange and wont stay solid green, at this point the voltage across the adapter drops from 20v to about 6v and constantly changes.

I personally think a capacitor may have gone inside the adapter, and isn't holding the correct charge which you can see when the adapter is under load. But I wanted your opinion first guys, these adapters are sealed so want to make sure before i take it apart.

Thanks,
Ash

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Someone you know may have a matching adapter so you could check whether it's the adapter or the computer.
If it's the adapter, you're probably beter off getting a new one. Unless you are skilled in repairing switch mode power supplies. The symptoms you describe are unlikely to come from a defect capacitor alone.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Ash

Its more likely to be the adaptor. You don't have a friend you can borrow the correct one from to try it out ?
If it was me in your position and I didn't have a spare to try out, I would go to a computer store with the laptop and ask to plug it in to one of their adaptors, they are likely to have a bunch lying around