Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laser Driver Circuit

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
Hi,

I need some help with designing a laser driver circuit. I found a red diode that could probably take 5 - 9 v easily but saw from other posts online that i would need a heat sink if i wanted to apply more power. Needing help to create the driver circuit.

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What do you mean you "found a red diode that could probably take 5 - 9 v easily"

I think 2.3V is the highest I've heard ov, and in any case LEDs are current rather than voltage driven.

Or do you mean it has a driver that you think will work up to 9V? If it does, you would (or should) not expect it to deliver more power at higher voltages.

If it simply has a series resistance, then yes, a higher voltage will deliver a higher current.

Perhaps you could point us to a datasheet for the device (or at least some specs) and these other "posts online" of which you speak.

The tutorial on LEDs should tell you much of what you need to know to make a basic driver.

High power LEDs are often on a metal star (or can be attached to one) and it is through this that they are typically heatsinked (heatsunk?)

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
Perhaps you could point us to a datasheet for the device (or at least some specs) and these other "posts online" of which you speak.

The tutorial on LEDs should tell you much of what you need to know to make a basic driver.

High power LEDs are often on a metal star (or can be attached to one) and it is through this that they are typically heatsinked (heatsunk?)

Found a dvd burner. Also here is the link i found:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...8j4.22.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.Tq1LHxvcKUA

Just wanted to make sure if the circuit is correct.

Thanks

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
If it simply has a series resistance, then yes, a higher voltage will deliver a higher current.

Ok, how about a pulsed driver circuit? Could you help me build that? Thanks.

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
I'm thinking of building something that drives the number of pulses from slow blinking to fast blinking. The LD i have is a DVD so it should be able to handle a substantial amount of current. Also want to add some sort of picture to place on it.

:)