Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laser for welding small plastic pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
Is it possible to use one of those lasers to weld small plastic pieces together? What sort of power am I looking for? Any good website (one that gives accurate power readings) for lasers?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Sure you want to weld? Have you tried using the appropriate solvents first?

The process of welding means bringing both surfaces to the same temperature and then adding a 'filler' material to make/strengthen the joint. A laser might get the two surfaces to similar temperatures (assuming it has sufficient power and doesn't just burn the material away) but adding the 'filler' may complicate issues somewhat.

This is your second post re plastic welding. Is there a particular issue you're having with something or are you looking to develop a new method?

If plastic welding was a particular requirement then it's usually already covered by some application already - vinyl jointing as mentioned in the other post for example. I know that perspex is joined using solvent and that ultrasonics are often used to 'glue' plastics together (probably the simplest solution) but each material generally has it's own method and there is no 'catch-all' machine for it.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Is it possible to use one of those lasers to weld small plastic pieces together? What sort of power am I looking for? Any good website (one that gives accurate power readings) for lasers?

1W enough to weld plastic .... I seriously doubt it

This is your second post re plastic welding. Is there a particular issue you're having with something or are you looking to develop a new method?

If plastic welding was a particular requirement then it's usually already covered by some application already - vinyl jointing as mentioned in the other post for example. I know that perspex is joined using solvent and that ultrasonics are often used to 'glue' plastics together (probably the simplest solution) but each material generally has it's own method and there is no 'catch-all' machine for it.

agree with the above :)

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
If you have a particular problem gluing certain plastics, try contacting a manufacturer like Loctite for a solution. In my experience they are very helpful (they want you to buy their product after all).
Some years ago I had a problem trying to glue some acrylic parts, in a production environment, which are notoriously difficult and Loctite thankfully had a solution.
If not as someone else mentioned, ultrasonic welding is commonly used but is probably out of your reach.

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
Mostly for fixing handheld electronics. Welding produces an unmatched bond strength and is instant. No glue does this. You either use solvents for strength but it takes time or use hot glue and take a chance with the weak strength and poor heat resistance.

I believe I've seen someone weld plastic with a 500mw laser. I just need to know if that laser advertised is realistically speced.

Soldering iron welding requires touching of the joint which moves it out of place. Forced air is too broad and often deforms the entire plastic case so it won't snap together.

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
I would recommend staying away from powerful lasers for this application, you need only one reflection form metal surface and it will probably go through any safety glasses you might have.

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
I would recommend staying away from powerful lasers for this application, you need only one reflection form metal surface and it will probably go through any safety glasses you might have.
They sell laser safety glasses for that.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Ah! But can you afford to buy a pair for the wavelength you choose?

hahaha .... and if you have a laser strong enough to melt plastic to weld it.....
what do you think it's going to do with those plastic safety glasses !!

time to close this thread

you have no idea what you are doing and the VERY dangerous aspect of hi power lasers

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.