Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laser Range Finder - DIY

DieselTwitch

Jan 26, 2013
I want to research how I would go about building my own laser ranger finder. The math, the parts, the theory, the programming, the electronics. I find it funny that most range finders are limited to 1500 yrds when non-commercial grade green lasers are good out to 3 miles (5,280 yrds) and more.

I would think it would be fairly simple to set up a laser to pulse at 1ms intervals. I know that light travels roughly at 300,000,000 meters/second. from that if I had a target at 3000 meters it would take light roughly 10 microseconds (.01 ms) to travel the distance. How would I get something that could run a timer that would initiate the pulse and look for a return in a say a spotting scope? I have found a Maxline 532nm Filter that would block out everything but the green laser pulse. I've also found a 100mW to 750mW green laser that would be usable out to the range. my only worry is that the electronics would see the beam and not the spot.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure if an Arduino would work. don't know what its response time is.

Last edited: