Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laser Rust Removal

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Amazing how that bloke way back when first shone light through a ruby, saw the effect and wasn't quite sure what to use it for.

Doug3004

Sep 5, 2014
Looks expensive, like,,, dozens of watts.... Also I wonder what it does to the surface? (as far as heating, distortion ect)

Currently the "high-dollar" way to clean metal is by dry-ice blasting (like sandblasting, but with dry ice chips). Gets all the crud off but doesn't harm the metal and doesn't leave sand dust in everything. It's not cheap, but it's probably way cheaper than a laser...

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I wonder how cold the casting gets while being sand blasted with dry ice? I wonder how abrasive that is, the video is just showing degreasing and not rust removal per se. Good find though! Never heard of this removal method either :) Way friendlier than the solvents we used to use in the shop to prep valve covers and upper's for reinstallation.

EDIT - LOL - the friendly youtube selector brought up another video that indeed shows rust removal with dry ice, very impressive, Thanks!