Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laserlight Computer Case with RGB/White LED's

WarrenC

Jan 31, 2017
Hello all,

I am looking for some resources or help on doing a computer case modification featuring some pretty cool lighting effects using LED's. I am having a lot of other RGB LED lighting effects on a current computer build I am working on and I was looking to also maybe gain a solution for tying all the lighting controllers I have together if possible as well.

Its a Lian-Li PC-O8WX computer case with a RGB lighting controller already, but I was looking to change the current fans. I am also using some of the new Thermaltake Pacific RGB water cooling fittings and plan to purchase about 6 RGB fans for the case (likely Corsair 120HD RGB fans). If I could get something that I could program various lighting effects to or eventually tie it into a simple UI in a programmed windows application or something very rudimentary along those lines that would work too. The RGB fittings and the Corsair fans come with their own controllers and I am wondering if there is some way to integrate everything together, ideally. My thought was a raspberry pi or some arduino chip I briefly saw mentioned around here. I will admit I am pretty lost when it comes to this, but I am fairly good at DIY projects and learning, I have some minor experience with one-line electrical diagrams and I am a designer/draftsman by profession, so 3D modeling and some mechanical/(minor)electrical/plumbing design are my current skill sets.

Another feature I was looking to add to this case and possibly the first starting point to all this lighting hubub is an idea I came up with when I saw the InWin Ininity 805 computer case in a microcenter recently. Pic below:
13147541_1344871098863192_2778881919707967681_o.jpg

Doing some research on this inifinity mirror effect, I realized it is achieved with a mirror on the back and a one way glass film on the inside of a front piece of glass, thus creating a repeating reflective effect where light is trapped inside but visible through the one way pane. Very achievable with some very inexpensive materials I have already researched.

To top it off I had the idea of instead of using a strip of LED's surrounding the perimiter, I wanted to use a prism in the middle and focus beams of white LED light towards it in laser-like precision from different angles and then generating a different exiting beam color based on the angle it passes through. Resulting exit colors would be controlled based on simply which LED was activated and combinations could be programmed in a sort of laser light show. I have been looking at this cool site https://www.fasttech.com/category/1699/flashlights--lasers for DIY flashlight lenses and LED's to achieve this laser like lighting.

This is an exciting project for me and I hope I can get it off the ground, thats why I am reaching out for some help. I can always consider tying into my motherboard with some sort of add in card of sorts if there is something out there that would achieve this. I am considering any other lighting controller that might be off the shelf, but if not, it would be cool to say i created my own circuit and programmed some sort of chip on a pcb board to control all this!

Thanks,
Warren

WarrenC

Jan 31, 2017
I forgot to add I would be partially covering the exiting face of the prism with paint or some sort of material to limit the space for the exiting spectrum so that it was just one color of the visible spectrum (blue/red/green or more).