Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Latching solenoid simple momentary push button circuit

Bmurphy

Apr 19, 2021
I have a latching solenoid valve , 2.2watt coil, 6 to 40vDC supply (Requires 4700μf capacitor) pulse 20 to 100 millisecond to actuate (open it) and a reverse polarity pulse to (close it)

I understand the capacitor is key to providing the charge and pulse of the right timing but I am after a simple circuit triggered by momentary push buttons , one for opening and one for closing that will make this work. Can anyone suggest a simple circuit ?

https://www.solenoid-valve.world/pr...-solenoid-valve-6-40vdc-22-latching-pn22508al

Thanks
Bernie

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I understand the capacitor is key
The capacitor is there to limit the time when current flows. Powering the solenoid longer than rated will overheat it and destroy the valve.
I am after a simple circuit triggered by momentary push buttons
You will need two double pole push buttons. One wired with the polarity to open the valve, the other with reverse polarity to close the valve. You will also need an additional "bleeder" resistor to discharge the capacitor after each operation. I used a 10 kΩ resistor here which should be good for one operation each 3 seconds (the resistor will take some time to discharge the capacitor). You can probably reduce it down to 1 kΩ so allow faster operation if required, but you can't make it too small otherwise the current through the resistor during operating the pushbuttons may damage the coil.
upload_2021-4-20_6-37-50.png

Last edited: