Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LCD is Dim

screwball

Jan 9, 2012
Hello,
I have a 16x2 Midas LCD which is VATN, the problem I have is that the display is very dim (camera actually pics the display up better than my eyes). The LCD is new and I have had it working perfectly on a different LCD (not VATN).

The part is MC21605G12W-VNMLW

The VO pin is fed by a 10k pot from vdd and vss with wiper going to VO. The potentiometer is at its max (the best constrast I could get).
The kathode of backlight is connected to ground, anode is not connected as I think it is connected internally on the lcd board, I have measured 3.5v between the anode and cathode which is about right for white led. If I do connect the wire for anode to vdd, the display will show blank boxes across the screen (I guess its sequence fault display or something)

Any idea what could be wrong?

Attachments

• 20161207_115813_resized.jpg
    20161207_115813_resized.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20161207_115840_resized.jpg
    20161207_115840_resized.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

pgib8

Jul 26, 2015
Check the voltage on VO as you turn the pot. It should be adjustable just about from Vdd to Vee. Make sure Vee is in fact a negative voltage compared to GND/Vss. Take out the pot. and connect VO directly to Vdd, then disconnect from Vdd and connect to Vee, and see how that interacts.
The LEDs look bright, I definitely think it's a contrast issue, so that's where I would focus. If all fails get another LCD to try in case there is a defect.

screwball

Jan 9, 2012
Check the voltage on VO as you turn the pot. It should be adjustable just about from Vdd to Vee. Make sure Vee is in fact a negative voltage compared to GND/Vss. Take out the pot. and connect VO directly to Vdd, then disconnect from Vdd and connect to Vee, and see how that interacts.
The LEDs look bright, I definitely think it's a contrast issue, so that's where I would focus. If all fails get another LCD to try in case there is a defect.

One gold star for you, I totally missed the fact the pot must receive a negative for VO when reading the datasheet, I'm so used to people referring to vss as vee I thought nothing of it.

Works fine now, black background isn't as good as I think the manufacturers make out but OLED wouldn't have been suitable so good enough.

*Note for others using same LCD,
Pin 15 of LCD is supposed to connect to pot, along with vdd and VO to the wiper.