Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LCD Monitor Power Brick Problem

Nate80

Oct 10, 2016
Hi,

I've been using a pair of external 27" LCD monitors for the past few years. They're supposedly Apple LCD panels (from 2012) that are encased and sold by a company called DGM. As monitors they're really great quality, but the included power adaptors suck. I've had 2 replacements since new after the originals both went bang (literally) and now I think one of the replacements is on the way out too.

Suddenly, and without warning, one of the power bricks started making a high pitched shrieking and the connected monitor image began flickering immensely quickly. I unplugged it immediately. Since then I've tested the power brick using another power cable (kettle lead) but the fault remains. As soon as the power adapter is powered on it starts making a whining noise that gets louder and more high pitched for 3-5 seconds until it's shrieking.

In the past I've gotten replacement power adapters for free as the LCD monitors were under guarantee, but they're out of warranty now. Direct replacement power adapters look like costing around £100 (Input: 100-240V AC 50-60Hz 2.5A and Output: 24v 6A DC via a Kyloc/Mini-Din 4 pin connector) which seems really expensive.

Rather than buying a new one I'd like to try fixing my current one if it's not too complicated. Does this sound like an easy to diagnose issue and might it be an easy fix?

Many thanks

Nate

debe

Oct 15, 2011
Most probably dried out electrolytic capacitors. Ive found to open a power brick, I carefuly use a wood chisel & small hammer. Just carefully chisel around the joint of the plastic box will get it apart. Then re glue it together with super glue after it is repaired.

Nate80

Oct 10, 2016
Cheers for the helpful advice Debe. :) I'll carefully crack the power brick open and check the electrolytic capacitors out. I guess it'll be obvious if they're what's faulty because they'll be what's screeching! lol. For the moment I've bought a replacement unit as I found one cheep, but I'd still like to repair the broken one too as it'd be good for a spare so I'll have a look this weekend.

Nate

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'll carefully crack the power brick open and check the electrolytic capacitors out. I guess it'll be obvious if they're what's faulty because they'll be what's screeching! lol

they will have bulged end(s) on them, they will not be screeching, that is most likely the transformer or oscillator
straining under the stress of the stuffed caps :)

Nate80

Oct 10, 2016
they will have bulged end(s) on them, they will not be screeching, that is most likely the transformer or oscillator
straining under the stress of the stuffed caps :)

Thanks very much. That saves me looking in the wrong area. :D