Maker Pro
Maker Pro

learn how to check capacitors

Andrew2022

Oct 18, 2022
I could I check capacitor with 1000uF and 16 volts ? May I put in series 2Kohms resistor then charged with 9 volts battery up to %63.2 will be 7.5 volts. How many seconds it should take a charge if is capacitor good ? Thank in advance for your answer !

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
What you are describing is Tau, symbol τ, is the greek letter used in electrical and electronic calculations to represent the time constant of a circuit as a function of time.
That is a times constant for an RC circuit.

Andrew2022

Oct 18, 2022
Calculator ask for series resistance ? The series resistance of the resistor or series resistance of the capacitor ?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Effective Series Resistance (ESR)is the real resistive component of the complex impedance Z(Ω) = R + j X(Ω) of the device. Your capacitor!
My friend you must Marshall you thoughts and formulate a question.
You wish to learn how to check capacitors ( the title of your thread) you wish to check capacitors through a specific circuit then that implies you have a firm foundation in theory. This is a must or your results obtained will mean nothing to you; it will only cause confusion.
I know where this is going;I have provided you resources. It is not as simple as you think.
You need a introduction in electronic theory101. Respectfully further research on your part is necessary. Read the websites I have provided you... It is specific to your query! Thank you.
And welcome to Maker Pro!
:)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I get the impression this is a homework question.

In the 'real world' a capacitance check would involve specific (dedicated) test equipment that will deliver both the component value (many testers capable of reading from a few pF to 100's microfarads) plus the component ESR (equivalent series resistance).

There are tables online that show 'acceptable' values for ESR which will vary according to the value of the component and is usually only valid for values >1uF.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
That might just be ‘equivalent series resistance’.
:)
Deep down I know you're right. :)
Honestly I didn't bother to look at the online calculator never used them.
But I gathered the gentleman wanted to know if the capacitor is good or bad.
Hinting as to using Tau.
All capacitors have ESR, but the higher capacitance (and therefore lower reactance) of electrolytic capacitors makes ESR more significant and (ESR) Effective Series Resistance is a good electrolyte health indicator. ;)
Here's the kicker. I don't even know what type of capacitor he wished to check. He never stated that information. As is normally the case.

Last edited: