Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Learning to use programmable integrated circuits

robertgzzzt

Jun 26, 2013
I thought the whole idea with the ZIF socket was so that one could place a "blank" MCU on the programmer, then program it and remove it for use in another project. I actually chose it because it had the ZIF socket (and the ICSP port).

What I'm wanting to do is program the chips for use inside the models I build. I understand I would need to use the ICSP for programming SMD PICs that I've already pre-soldered to a board, as apparently there is no "slave" device for programming an SMD off-board, but for "through hole" PICs, can I not program those in the ZIF socket?

You mentioned earlier about creating ICP support on my project boards, so I could "update" the programming at a later time. I seriously doubt if there will ever be any need for updating. The lights in a particular model blink at a certain rate. All the chip has to do is blink those lights, forever, until it kicks the bucket.

Since I do not need to learn C++, in your opinion, which programming language should I learn?

p.erasmus

Jul 18, 2013
Since I do not need to learn C++, in your opinion, which programming language should I learn?

As I mentioned before C and as Kris mentioned too you as well C is the most widely used
language on MCU platforms,on 32BIt MCU many people use C++ there are C++ compilers for PIC32 ,ARM however I dought that you will use 32Bit MCU for your projects andf if so you can still program them in C
and secondly I will never use C++ on a resource limited mcu as a 8 bit mcu

in my opinion the most people use C and assembler then in Europa many many Hobbiest use Basic and Pascal because of it easy syntax
You can never go wrong in in learning C, you can use it on any MCU regardless vendor or bit size of the MCU

Last edited:

robertgzzzt

Jun 26, 2013
Thanks, p.erasmus.Sorry, I don't mean to be redundant. I'll see if I can find an online C tutorial. Those ones ligo George linked me to just gave examples. I literally need to start at programming 101.

p.erasmus

Jul 18, 2013
Well I dont want sound as a salesman which I am not however the reason I showed you the mikroE stuff is because you have a book which teach you C plus the basics of the micro and the basics of using the C compiler to program your micro you have all you need in one package , No need to search for stuff and when you do so you need to make sure the examples you find does work on your micro and in your compiler a bit hard to judge if you are learning ,I agree many things on the net available however hoe well does this stuff you find works in your particular case just my opinion.You can read the book online for free from thier website no need tp purchase the book or the compiler as you can use the Demo version

http://www.mikroe.com/products/view/285/book-pic-microcontrollers-programming-in-c/

you can use any programmer you want the C compiler you will use is independant of the programmer

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
You can never go wrong in in learning C, you can use it on any MCU regardless vendor or bit size of the MCU
I agree.

C was designed to be efficient and powerful on 16-bit machines, and adapts well to 8-bit and 32-bit architectures too. It gives you many of the usual advantages of high-level languages, while still translating fairly directly to assembly language (the native language of the CPU core). It has many advantages for embedded work. It is very widely supported. Its syntax is also the basis for several other languages.

What I'm wanting to do is program the chips for use inside the models I build. I understand I would need to use the ICSP for programming SMD PICs that I've already pre-soldered to a board, as apparently there is no "slave" device for programming an SMD off-board, but for "through hole" PICs, can I not program those in the ZIF socket?
Yes, sure. Personally, I would use SMT PICs with ICP connectors in almost any situation. It's quicker, easier, cheaper, and much more compact. (You can choose any kind of connector; even just two rows of holes at 0.05" spacing, so no actual connector is needed on the PCB.)

You mentioned earlier about creating ICP support on my project boards, so I could "update" the programming at a later time. I seriously doubt if there will ever be any need for updating. The lights in a particular model blink at a certain rate. All the chip has to do is blink those lights, forever, until it kicks the bucket.
In theory, you're probably right. But you know the difference between theory and practice? "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." :)

C is definitely my recommendation.

p.erasmus

Jul 18, 2013
you're probably right. But you know the difference between theory and practice? "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." :)

:) this is the best I heard in a long time great comment Kris