Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED dimmable lamp

majortom

Apr 2, 2017
Hello,

I'm new here so apologies in advance for dumb questions or posting in the wrong place.

My first project and I'm hoping to convert and old radio into a bedside lamp. I guess I'm just after some general advice, having researched online a few days I'm still unsure as to what I can or can't do and what components might work best. I've basic soldering skills / experience. So grateful for any help or ideas.

The plan is to gut the radio completely, keeping only the metal fixing which previously held the bulb to illuminate the window (the window is about 10cm x 3cm), using this to install a dimmable lamp, which would be switched on and the dimmer controlled by using the tuning nob.

I was going to use an LED in the hope that it wouldn't get too hot and I can still find a small enough bulb to go in the housing (already have a G4 10w dimmable bulb). For less hassle I hope to run this from mains power. So far, I understand that I'll need a socket for the bulb, a dimmer module, a transformer (?) and a mains lead. Also, something to cover the window from the inside to filter the light and make it a bit softer.

So I've a couple questions, first being do you think this is doable / realistic? Second, am I missing anything or not accounting for something? In general terms, are there any specific components I should use or avoid.

Again, sorry for such a general post but could use a bit of guidance from people who know what they're doing - general or specific, any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
To run it from the mains I suggest you find an appropriate plugpack. This means you don't need to do any mains wiring.

Before you select a plugpack though, you'll need to select a LED and determine how you're going to drive it.

The easiest option is probably one of the many dimmable 12V LED "halogen replacement" downlights. If you go with this option your plugpack should be 12V and maybe 1.5A.

To dim the bulb you can make a simple variable duty cycle 555 oscillator driving a mosfet which powers the bulb. If you leave enough of the innards of the battery do the volume control remains, you may be able to use this to control the brightness.

majortom

Apr 2, 2017
Much obliged, Steve,

I'll give it a go and check back in if I get stuck.

Cheers

Tom

wayner

Apr 18, 2017
Your other option is to use a connected LED bulb that can be dimmed from an app on your phone or via a Philips Hue system, or something similar. Search Amazon for "LED wifi bulb" or buy a Hue starter kit. Many of these bulbs can also change colours.