Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Edison-style patio lights

MrEd

Dec 13, 2020
I put several strands of LED lights in a 100' tall tree. Each strand consists of 3 - 30 bulb strings connected end to end. All was well, until yesterday one of the strands (total of 90 bulbs) didn't turn on. I swapped out the control box to no avail.
Would a loosened bulb in the first string cut power to all the others, including the connected strings?

MrEd

Dec 13, 2020
No part numbers. Amazon purchase.
HueLiv 2-Pack 49FT Colored Outdoor String Lights, Warm White&RGB Dimmable Café LED String Light, 30+4 Impact Resistant Bulbs, Commercial Patio Light for Christmas, Holiday, 3Remote, 98FT, Upgraded

Last edited by a moderator:

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
I put several strands of LED lights in a 100' tall tree. Each strand consists of 3 - 30 bulb strings connected end to end. All was well, until yesterday one of the strands (total of 90 bulbs) didn't turn on. I swapped out the control box to no avail.
Would a loosened bulb in the first string cut power to all the others, including the connected strings?
If they were in series I think so. You could try a connectivity test with a multimetre to find the bulb that disconnected.

MrEd

Dec 13, 2020
And therein lies the problem. I'd have to rent another cherry picker to get up into that tree! hmmmm....
Would a loose bulb in the 2nd string cause the lights to go off in the first string?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
3-30 bulb strings connected end to end?.
Ok, so 90 in one long single string?.
If they are in series, a problem with the first string would cause second and third to fail.
A problem with the second string would cause the third to fail etc. The fault would appear from the blown bulb onwards.
This assumes a series connection.

Either way, a head for heights is needed. (In a cherry picker).

EDIT: your message suggests the total 90 bulbs are out, suggesting your problem is low down. Check the wiring from control box to first ES bulb holder. It could have a break somewhere.

Martin

Last edited:

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
I'm not sure about that. I actually use dead strands as extension cords for the good ones.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I'm not sure about that
Yes, I see your point. But the OP hasn’t given enough info.
Some bulbs have a bridge with allows the rest of the string to light. eg, Christmas tree bulbs.
But these appear to be LED ES bulbs.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Well, here’s the answer.

Q:when one blub goes out will the rest of the strand work

Answer this question

A: Dear customer,
If one bulb goes out, you could replace the bulb with spare bulb. It will not effect the rest of strand. If you have any questions in use, please feel free to contact us. We will help you out.

So, if you’ve changed the control box then it must be wiring.
Or a complete fluke and ALL bulbs have blown!.

Martin

MrEd

Dec 13, 2020
Well, here’s the answer.

Q:when one blub goes out will the rest of the strand work

Answer this question

A: Dear customer,
If one bulb goes out, you could replace the bulb with spare bulb. It will not effect the rest of strand. If you have any questions in use, please feel free to contact us. We will help you out.

So, if you’ve changed the control box then it must be wiring.
Or a complete fluke and ALL bulbs have blown!.

Martin
I find most of the answers to those questions are very vague.
I'm just hoping that the problem bulb is within ladder's reach. (waiting for ladder to come back)