Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED grow light help

electronicHobo

Jun 22, 2011
Hi
I have been intending to build an led grow light for some time now. My only problem is that I don't know how to power it or wire it. The parts I want to use are:

20 red leds- http://za.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2471713

5 blue leds- http://za.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4666345&cm_vc=av_za

The data sheets can be found on those respective pages.

How would I go about connecting all these leds and what other components would I need?
Also, I would like to use batteries to power my grow light BUT if they will not work please recommend something else. I have heard of using a ballast but I'm not sure if it would work. If it requires me to change the components then don't hesitate in telling me.

If anyone would be able to provide me with a schematic it would help out a lot.

All help appreciated!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would not be surprised if these LEDs were not bright enough to work as grow lamps.

To learn how to drive LEDs properly, please see here.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I would not be surprised if these LEDs were not bright enough to work as grow lamps.
here.
That's the understatement of the year. I calculate a total output of about 5 lumens. For comparison, a 100W incandescant bulb is about 1700 lumens.

You will need much more powerful LEDs for a grow light.

bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
There are 3 and 5 Watt LED out there that can produce hundreds of lumens each. You would want to search for the most efficient (lumens / watt) LEDS you can find in that range. And they require drive currents of about 1 Amp at about 2.5V for the red and 3.6V for the blue. You would want a switching, constant current power supply to do this right.

About 100 of these high power LEDs would make a nice grow light.

Bob