Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED light bulb

senderj

Mar 8, 2010
I bought a LED light bulb, unfamous brand because of the low price. But I found that there is no transformer in it. The 220VAC direct connect to a full bridge, then to some RC filter and then direct to the LEDs. I don't know if this is a safe design. However, I found that even some famous brand such as Philips or Panasonic, their LED light bulbs are of the same size as mine, which I think is too small to house a transformer. Should I continue to use it?

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
That is a very common way to do LED light bulbs. It is as safe as anything unless the bulb breaks and you stick your finger into it. As long as you use it as intended and discard it if it is physically damaged, this is no more risk than a standard light-bulb or appliance.

---55p

neon

Oct 21, 2006
I bought a LED light bulb, unfamous brand because of the low price. But I found that there is no transformer in it. The 220VAC direct connect to a full bridge, then to some RC filter and then direct to the LEDs. I don't know if this is a safe design. However, I found that even some famous brand such as Philips or Panasonic, their LED light bulbs are of the same size as mine, which I think is too small to house a transformer. Should I continue to use it?
A: If it is a 220v ac the power comsumption is probably 98% of a regualr bulb you don't reajly need a transformer for LEDS all you need is put them in series and controll the current. The only problem if it exsits is the beakdown of components. Let me add that most of my lighting is in LEDS troughout the house and of course outside .

senderj

Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try and see what happen.