Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Led light strip connected to subwoofer amplifier power in?

benyboy981

Feb 5, 2016
I'm thinking of installing some led light strips to my car and have two twelve inch subs running at 500w each off of one amp. I have ran 0 gauge through the my car to the boot to a distribution block with multiple outputs. I also have a fuse coming off the battery for the 0 gauge and its 250amp fuse. I am curious to know if I can run power to my led light strips from the distribution block with an in line fuse aswell and then connect my negative to the negative terminal on the amp which has 4 gauge coming out being grounded to the car body. Also would running about 5 meters worth of leds around the car being cut and wired with what gauge to cause the least heat and least voltage drop be okay I don't really know. I wanna know if that's possible and whether or not it will be bad for the amp or the leds. Thanks in advance

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
If your amplifier is powered from 13V and has a 250A fuse then the fuse will blow when the output power including amplifier heating is 13V x 250A= 3250W! Why such a high A fuse rating?

The Datasheet for the LED strips will say how little current they use.

benyboy981

Feb 5, 2016
If your amplifier is powered from 13V and has a 250A fuse then the fuse will blow when the output power including amplifier heating is 13V x 250A= 3250W! Why such a high A fuse rating?

The Datasheet for the LED strips will say how little current they use.
I was advised by the manual of the amp to get that big of a fuse so yeah. The specs of the LED light strip is
12vdc
3x4A max
114w
I didn't realise that drawing a little bit more power would blow the fuse. Cheers

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Your LED strips will use 9.5A from a dead 12V battery. The current will be a little higher when the engine is charging the battery at 14.4V. The huge fuse will not notice only 9.5A.

I think there is a huge fuse because if the car is in an accident that shorts the wiring then the fuse will blow instead of the wiring catching on fire and the battery blowing up.

benyboy981

Feb 5, 2016
Your LED strips will use 9.5A from a dead 12V battery. The current will be a little higher when the engine is charging the battery at 14.4V. The huge fuse will not notice only 9.5A.

I think there is a huge fuse because if the car is in an accident that shorts the wiring then the fuse will blow instead of the wiring catching on fire and the battery blowing up.
I don't run any of my electrical components when the car is off so my battery is never flat.
And cheers