Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Lights help

MechaMarc

Mar 28, 2017
I have LED lights on my fence in the back garden and some rows appear to not be working, I have a suspicion that this is down to not enough voltage, I could be wrong completely though so I thought I would ask here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/210-300-6...hash=item1c5bd48e92:m:m_hBjBtBpiz3FO0NrpRvNBA

I have 5 joined together meaning its 1050 LEDs, my main suspicion is that the cheap control unit is not doing its job as I know all the LEDs work (all of them were prior to adding in the 5th set of LEDs and the 5th set currently all light up)

What I would like to know is, can I replace the cheap control unit with something that is better, I dont need all the flashing functions I just need them to be on solid, or can I remove the control unit completely and wire it to mains directly - would this cause the LEDs to blink?

I threw all the boxes and instructions out so I cant tell you the specifics about current etc.

Any advice is appreciated

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
can I remove the control unit completely and wire it to mains directly - would this cause the LEDs to blink?
Yes, blink just once, then be off for the rest of your life.
Just kidding. No, definitely do not connect these LEDs directly to mains. This can kill you!

some rows appear to not be working
Which ones? Those at the far end, away from the controller, in between or at the beginning? Or just randomly?

MechaMarc

Mar 28, 2017
Harald,

Thank you for your reply - the ones that are out are from half way to the end furthest away from the controller.

And its it complete rows, if you take one section of LEDs I guess you could say it is 5 across and 5 down, its the complete 3rd row that is out (this isn't an accurate description as I am in work, just wanted you to have a picture in your head).

MechaMarc

Mar 28, 2017
Thinking about what I said I would say that the rows that arent working are random, but they are all in the half that is furthest away from the controller.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I think there is too much rice in the wires on those cheap Chinese LED strings. In things that I make, my wires are pure copper with no added rice. I thoroughly test everything I make, the Chinese designers didn't.