Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Makers' Old Paper Catalogs Research/Scan Help Wanted

Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
Hi,

This is a request for scans of the Light Bars sections of printed catalogs from Kingbright, SunLED and possibly other LED manufacturers from 1980 or earlier through 2002; pre-1991 preferred. In Kingbright and SunLED .PDF catalogs from 2003 and later available online, Light Bars are usually combined with Bar Graph Arrays. In some issues Bar Graph Arrays & Light Bars are in their own catalog, sometimes they have their own chapter of a master catalog, and sometimes in master catalogs they're in subsections of Through-Hole Displays (numeric, alphanumeric & dot matrix). I hope this info makes it easier for anyone who has any of the catalogs I'm interested in to find the section I want to see.

Background:
I'm trying to discover the manufacturer and their part number of an old LED light bar that I believe was probably made by Kingbright or SunLED. The reason I think this is, a retail distributor who packaged the LED I'm interested in, Cal West Supply Inc., later replaced that LED with a similar but smaller one, Kingbright # L-835/2YDT (= SunLED # XEUY22D), without changing their retail package part number (CP-60). This later version part is a rectangular light bar with two dice spaced 6 mm center-to-center, 5 mm X 10 mm in frontal dimension. The original version's dice were 7 mm center-to-center, and it was 7 mm X 14 mm in frontal dimension. See attached image for photos and drawings. I believe that a manufacturer such as Kingbright would not change a part's size so significantly without changing their part number. To confirm or refute my hunch, I seek scans of old Kingbright and SunLED catalogs, to try to find the part number of the original, larger version. Kingbright was established in 1980 and SunLED was established in 1989. As of early 2005, the Cal West Supply/CAL-PAK LED catalog consisted of over 60 LED styles, of which two were SunLED parts and the remainder were Kingbright. Even the two styles Cal West claimed to have sourced from SunLED, had Kingbright equivalents. The part I'm looking for was first made some time before 1991, and was apparently discontinued some time before 2003. I'm hoping that knowing the part number and manufacturer, if they differ from the modern smaller version, might help me to locate more of these parts.

Other possible makers, IMO less likely to have made the part I'm interested in:
LEDtronics, Wintech, Lumex, Toshiba, Nichia, Stanley, Avago/Hewlett-Packard, Lite-On, Monsanto

Thanks in advance for your help!

CP-60 Light Bars.png

Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
I'm unable to edit the first post now, so here's an addendum: Of course I don't need scans of any catalog that doesn't show an LED like Version 1 of the CP-60, though it would be nice to get a brief report of any negative results.

So far I have received a report of nothing matching in the 1995 ROHM LED data book (Pub. No. 95-041.1), section entitled, "LED Flat Displays".

Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
I just got a report that there's nothing matching my request in the 1982 Litronix (Siemens) Optoelectronics Catalog.
Also nothing in the Hewlett-Packard Optoelectronics Designers Catalog, 1980.

No match in:
Fairchild Semiconductor catalog, Optoelectronics section, 2004
General Instrument (Monsanto) Catalog of Optoelectronics Products, 1980

No luck in:
Fairchild Optoelectronics Data Book, 1978

Another batch of negative results:
General Instrument (Monsanto) Catalog of Optoelectronic Products, 1985
Hewlett-Packard Solid State Display and Optoelectronics Designers Catalog, 1973
Hewlett-Packard Optoelectronics Designers Catalog, 1978
Motorola Optoelectronics Device Data DL118 Rev 5 - 1995 (no LEDs)
National Semiconductor Optoelectronics Handbook, 1979
NEC Optoelectronic Products, 1985
Texas Instruments Optoelectronics Data Book, 1983
TRW Optron Products Optoelectronics Data Book, 1982 (no LEDs)
Monsanto Solid State Optoelectronics Catalog, 1977
Xciton Optoelectronics, 1978, 1983

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
And a few more:
Fairchild Full Line Condensed Catalogs, 1975, 1978
Fairchild Optoelectronics Data Book, 1980
Hewlett-Packard Solid State Devices, 1969 (no LEDs)
Hewlett-Packard Optoelectronics Designers Catalogs, 1977, 1979, 1983
Hewlett-Packard Optoelectronics Designers Catalog, 1986
Hewlett-Packard Optoelectronics Designers Catalog, 1988-1989
Hewlett-Packard Optoelectronics Designers Catalog, 1991-1992

AEG Telefunken Optoelectronic Devices Data Book, 1981/82
Ferranti Semiconductors Optoelectronic Devices, 1981
General Electric Semiconductor Data Handbook, 1977
Hewlett-Packard Optoelectronics Designer's Catalog, 1993, 1996
Motorola Optoelectronic Data Book, 1981-82 (no LEDs)
Siemens Optoelectronics Semiconductors Data Book, 1975/76
Toshiba Optoelectronic Semiconductors, 1984

Last edited by a moderator: