Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Proximity to MIDI Interfacing modulated ir to a control voltage (0 to +5)

fogg4444

Jun 21, 2011
Hello everyone! First post here for me.

I have a unique project in mind. I have some electronics knowledge but not nearly enough to build exactly what I want. This is the project:

MIDI Infrared Proximity Detector

I have done some research on the topic. I plan to use the Pocket Electronic system by Doepfer as my interface.

http://www.doepfer.de/pe.htm

The Doepfer works with potentiometers of all kinds. It also works with control voltages from 0 to +5 volts. These voltages correspond to MIDI values form 0 to 127.

I need to build an infrared transmitter / reciever unit that can have it's output modified into a stable 0 to +5v output.

The next problem is that most IR detections systems apparently need a modulated/ pulsed output to keep out any unwanted interference.

FInal question: Does anyone have any advice on how to build an oscillating IR transmitter and filtered receiver and then amplify it to a 0 to +5v output? Can I use an op-amp as some kind of potentiometer? How do I build the filter to pickup only a certain frequency?Am I on the right track with any of my research?

Is there a pre-assemble product that I can buy instead of building the circuit from scratch?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Google "IR remote control module". You can get receiver modules that are 3 pins and include all the filtering needed. You supply power and ground and the other pin is an ouput that is high when it is receiving a signal. The transmitter is just an IR LED fed by a square wave. The typical operating frequency is 38KHz.

Bob