Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED slim tube LED driver replacement

aurelZ

Jun 10, 2019
hello
I have blow up slim LED tube with 2 strips ,each strip have 72 LED chip diode
what would be easiest LED driver replacement i can build myself?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Usually the cost is prohibitive either with a replacement part (cheapest) or build yourself(expensive) compared to a complete replacement fitting.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
No need, replace the faulty discrete component.

If you must for some reason, make your own, then you must first determine how the LEDs are arranged in a series and/or parallel arrangement, the target wattage, and then the voltage and current regulation to get there.

Is it really worth the work? Bluejets already mentioned this. I think it is very unlikely worth the bother. Building your own PSU for this is likely to cost more than an entire replacement tube, without counting the value of your time, unless as mentioned already, you instead just find and replace the failed component and hopefully determine why it failed and do an upgrade to increase the lifespan of it.

From the insufficient info you have provided, merely stating "blow up", it might not even be the driver that is at fault, could be a PCB crack or if all LEDs are in series and none light up, a solder joint or LED bond wire fault.

You have not done the necessary work to better describe this circuit.

aurelZ

Jun 10, 2019
all leds work(light) ..checked with mulltimeter
there are 2 strings -strips each 72 diodes
i don' t want to throw it because work...here is how look
2 leds are connected with DC power with resistor in serie
LEDstrip72.png LEDstrip_tester.png
[mod edit: cleaned up double attachment]

aurelZ

Jun 10, 2019
what you say now?
can i replace it with transrmerlless driver like this LEDdriver24V.png

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I strongly discourage use f that technique. The presumably low voltage 24 V LED side is directly coupled to mains. This is potentially lethal.
Since the LEDs are current limited by a resistor, you can use any 24 V DC power supply as long as the output current suffices to power all 72 LEDs.
what would be easiest LED driver replacement i can build myself?
Depends on your skills. A simple transformer plus rectifier may suffice. You already have a good starting point which can be used to create supplies with varying degrees of quality:
upload_2021-4-28_8-31-12.png
Simple: may work. Depending on how sensitive you are you may notice flicker of the LEDs.
improved: A capacitor will reduce flicker significantly.
with additional filter and control. not only will the transistor further reduce flicker, the potentiometer will also allow setting the brightness of the LEDs within a certain range.

You can also simpyl buy a 24 V wall wart, just note the power rating (or equivalently the current rating) which must match or exceed the power drawn by the LEDs.

aurelZ

Jun 10, 2019
yes i agree that is potentially lethal,but fabricated circuits are not much better,they are all transformerless ..only maybe real brands as
philips..etc are more safe and better