Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Led strip lighting

Amaretat

Feb 3, 2023
I am looking into doing some led strip cabinet lighting.
what i am looking to do is have the Led strip turn on when i open the cabinet doors and still retain the ability to turn them on with the remote control.

The way i was thinking of doing it was to buy some Led strips with an IR controller and do a parallel wired Push to OFF switch circuit to turn on the Led's when i open the cabinet doors

I know i won't have control over the color and power when turned on via the push to off switch.
but would the Led strip be ok with the power received when i bypass the led controller or does it also work as a voltage controller? or do i need to measure and possibly wire in a resistor?
any thing obvious i am missing?
would this be the way to go ?
with regards Ama

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What kind of LED strip are you going to use? There are different types and what you can or cannot do depends on the type of strip.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This kind of LED strip is typically powered by 12 V but there's no clear indication on the website for this strip.
Usually (again: no info on the website) the three LED colors use a common + 12 V rail and 3 separate gnd rails for Red, Green and Blue. These rails are driven by MOSFETs within the controller that pull the rails to gnd to light the LEDs of the respective color. Brightness is controlled via pulse width modulation (pwm).
If that is so with this strip, you can turn on the LEDs color by color with a switch that grounds the rail for the colors. This will not damage the controller, but you won't be able to control either color or brightness when the switches are on.
It will also be a bit fickly to insert the switches into the connection from controller to the LED strip.