Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED viewing angles?

signalman72

Jan 26, 2014
I have a project where I need to illuminate a white plastic lens with a light from behind. Incandescent bulbs do a good job of this, but draw too much current for my application. I've tried using regular LEDs to accomplish this task, but they create an undesirable pinpoint of light on the lens. I'm looking for uniform brightness across the lens. I have no experience with wide angle LEDs. Would they accomplish the task?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Do you mean a single LED or an LED lamp?

A single LED is more or less a point source with a directional characteristic. The case can incorporate a lens to bundle or to spread the light. To distribute the light from the LED proper through the case I have in the past sucessfully used sandpaper to roughen the case of a clear 5mm LED so it becomes milky. This distributes the light from the chip surprisingly well into all directions.

signalman72

Jan 26, 2014
Single LED. I have found flat top LEDs for sale online that claim to have a 120° viewing angle (which would work just fine for my needs) but I am wondering if the light is nicely diffused over that radius or if there is still some focal point in it.

Thanks!

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
You can get some very wide angle LEDs now the widest I have seen is 150deg. Try some wider versions and also move the LED further away if possible. If you can't do that then have a look at LED collimators.
Adam

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Do you mean a single LED or an LED lamp?

A single LED is more or less a point source with a directional characteristic. The case can incorporate a lens to bundle or to spread the light. To distribute the light from the LED proper through the case I have in the past sucessfully used sandpaper to roughen the case of a clear 5mm LED so it becomes milky. This distributes the light from the chip surprisingly well into all directions.

Good Idea Harald

signalman72

Jan 26, 2014
Harald, what kind of sandpaper? I've got some fine emery cloth, will that suffice?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
There will probably be an uneven distribution with a focus in the center of the LED, I confess I haven't tried this before. Give it a try, you can always frost the lens later.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The grain size of the sandpaper (emery cloth) is not really important. It may take a few seconds longer or not to frost the lens using fine grained or coarse grained paper. You can even use a file or any tool that disrupts the normally clear and even surface of the LED's lens.

signalman72

Jan 26, 2014
Thanks again!

BTW, what's the theory behind the "frosting"? Is it like creating little micro-mirrors that scatter the light in all different directions?

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
Thanks again!

BTW, what's the theory behind the "frosting"? Is it like creating little micro-mirrors that scatter the light in all different directions?
It diffuses the light, sending it off in different directions. It's similar in premise to the frosted coating on the inside of a light bulb, gives a more uniform light than a clear light bulb.