Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LEDs and battery math

Solotimberframer

Sep 26, 2022
Ok, so I may be a bit of a layman regarding the finer points of electronics. But the following observations make no sense to me mathematically. Please help.

Observation: 50 count led string lights run for multiple nights on the same 3 AA batteries. Estimated amps required by the string (unsure of information) is 1 amp. Voltage is stated to be 4.5v. Batteries are 1.2v with 2.8 amp hours each in series.

By my math and understanding, these lights should ‘burn out’ after 2.8 hours. So how, WHY do they work for multiple nights without a battery change?

*note: the do of course become dimmer, but still provide sufficient light for the better part of two nights.

( factors that I think may contribute to this conundrum: inaccurate information regarding the amperage/wattage of string lights (can’t find specs))

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Depends on the LED's involved.
Depends on the actual measured current draw which may change as the cells run down.
50 LED string arranged how...???
LED's can emit a "seemingly" similar light output for varying supply levels.
Were they pulsed (pwm) or hard on..??

Conclusion would be inaccurate/ incomplete information and basing outcome on assumptions rather than facts.

Keonte45

Aug 29, 2022
There are a few factors that could contribute to your observations about the LED string lights lasting for multiple nights on a single set of batteries.

First, it's important to note that the amp-hour rating of a battery is an indication of the amount of electrical current it can deliver over a period of time. It's not an indication of how long the battery will last. For example, a battery with a 2.8 amp-hour rating can deliver a current of 0.7 amps for 4 hours, or a current of 1.4 amps for 2 hours, and so on.

In addition, the actual current draw of the LED string lights may be lower than the estimated 1 amp you provided. LED lights are known for being energy efficient and using less current than traditional incandescent bulbs. It's also possible that the string lights are designed to be energy efficient and have a low current draw, which would allow them to operate for a longer period of time on a single set of batteries.

Finally, it's possible that the information you have about the amperage and wattage of the string lights is inaccurate, or that there are other factors at play that are affecting the battery life. Without more information about the specifics of the string lights and the batteries, it's difficult to provide a more detailed explanation.