Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Leds and drivers?

Codyf1113

Jun 18, 2013
I'm still new to this stuff but I like know is this project possible to do?

I'm still deciding how many leds I'm going be using for this project. I'm wanting make 6 to 8 leds flash using a 555 timer. The leds need Forward Voltage: 3.2V~3.6V and Forward Current: 350mA. This light is being made for my car. So the power source will be the battery/cigarette lighter
------------------------------------------------
If it possible to do this project. I need know more about driver to help power these leds ect. I recall someone telling me if leds pull more than 300mA you going need a driver for them?

I tried Googling this stuff but I'm having hard time finding the right info. Keep getting bunch of search results about random things not having anything do with drivers and leds. Along with my frist question, can someone tell me more drivers and leds or what I be using for a search?

I know I most likely have whole wrong and misunderstanding how this all works

Last edited:

Codyf1113

Jun 18, 2013
Thanks for the post Bob alot of good info on that, but I'm afraid I'm still having hard time understanding how I can power 6 of these leds using a 555 timer chip. The leds pull 350mA each. Together they will be pulling 2100mA (2.1 amps)? wouldn't that be a problem if the Output current is 200mA for the 555 timer?