Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED's in a geodesic array

David P

Apr 27, 2017
Hi, please can you help?

I'm an electronics newbee and need to create an LED photographic lighting array inside a small aluminium geodesic dome. I want approximately a 200W output, using 45 - Cool White High Power 1000LM LED Lamp SMD Chips, or similar, connected in series. (The number of chips is important for evenness of lighting). The aluminium shell will be used as a heat sink with thermal paste.
I want to power the array with one or more 12v computer-type power adapters and have the facility to dim the lights.
Please can someone suggest what wattage/voltage LED's and power adapter I should buy, and what additional components I will need for this project?

Many thanks!

David

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
200W is a lot of heat for a "small dome". A heatsink must have a high surface area which will not be available. Maybe the dome should be in a bucket of liquid nitrogen?

45 LEDs in series at 3.2V each need at least 144V which is not available from a 12V computer power supply.
Most LED dimmers blink the LEDs quickly that might not work with photography.

David P

Apr 27, 2017
Thanks for replying. The dome surface area is roughly 0.6M Square by 2mm thick aluminium. Should I be thinking of an alternative power supply, if so, do you have any suggestions? Am I going about this the wrong way altogether and should I be using completely different components? I could probably work with 150W but I would still need a way to dim the light
You are right to raise the issue of flicker regarding photography. I want use this for video as well.