Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Light Gauge w/ LED output. Help!

Jawnn

Feb 11, 2013
Hello! I'm new to the electronics world. I've been wanting to get into this stuff for a while, just started working at Radioshack and I felt tempted. I've soldered one or two kits now, but I don't really understand enough to build a circuit.

What I'm wanting to do is make a device that will detect light, and output the readings into 3 LEDs. A red one when there's a lot, yellow when there's not much, and green when there's practically none.

I've done some searching on light sensitive switches, but I can't find anything with more than one LED.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't know where else to go. :]

Jawnn

Feb 11, 2013
Teach me?

I'm still learning, but if i'm right, the large blue triangle is an IC, to the left is where the sensor would go, top left is a Cap. But i don't know what anything else is. And I don't know what pins I'd be connecting to on the display circuit you sent.

I barely know how anyone of this works.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
May I suggest you start by getting a (hobbyist) book on basic electronic circuits and read up and learn some basics first?
Experiment with the kits you built. Understand how these circuits work and how you can modify them.
Once you have grasped the basics, time will come to start with your own circuit(s).
You will need that knowledge to understand what people here tell you or what you find on the internet.

I found this site with circuits for metering light including some explanations.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
That circuit is not mine, I just linked to it.