The datasheet explains it clearly:-
"When the peak voltage across C1 reaches the
break over voltage VBO of the LIC01, this device
turns on and produces a pulse of current through
the primary of the transformer. In turn, the trans-
former generates high voltage pulses across the
lamp."

http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00001720.pdf
is this repeat every ac cycle or just one time to start bulb (for heating gas and decrease resistance )

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Every AC cycle, since the current reverses each time. To quote the datasheet again "the trans-former generates high voltage pulses across the lamp"

lead lighting

Sep 2, 2015

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Interesting little device.. first i've seen one, first thought it was some kind of triac/thyristor/diac in one

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Interesting little device.. first i've seen one, first thought it was some kind of triac/thyristor/diac in one
Yeah, first I've seen too. And you're right, that's more or less what it is. Pretty neat.

I need to clarify something I said yesterday, too. It fires twice per cycle, of course, and not once as I indicated, so the pulses come at double the mains frequency.

green90

Sep 1, 2015
Yeah, first I've seen too. And you're right, that's more or less what it is. Pretty neat.

I need to clarify something I said yesterday, too. It fires twice per cycle, of course, and not once as I indicated, so the pulses come at double the mains frequency.
but as i know high pressure sodium and metal halide bulbs just at first need such high voltage(600v) then their resistance decrease and need choke or coil to prevent short cct

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
but as i know high pressure sodium and metal halide bulbs just at first need such high voltage(600v) then their resistance decrease and need choke or coil to prevent short cct
I know little about HPS or MH lamps. I'm not in that business, if you get my meaning. I was only describing how the chip works as I understood it from the datasheet. In fact, looking back, all I did was quote the datasheet.