Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lighting circuit

Marlon1980

Feb 13, 2013
Hi guys,

Forgive me for my lack of electronics knowledge! I'm a commercial vehicle technician and wanting to make up a lighting circuit tester for hgv trailers. The wiring for the lights isn't a problem, my problem is that I would like to include some kind of timer/function switching circuit so I could press one button and all the individual lights would come on for say 5 seconds and then switch to the next function for 5 seconds and so on.......eg. Press the button and sidelights come on, giving me time to walk down the side of a trailer and check, then after 5 seconds whilst I'm at the rear of the trailer the brake lights come on, then indicators etc, etc.....

Hope this makes sense and I look forward to your help!

Thanks,
Paul

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You can use a sequencer circuit like this (needs to be extended to the required number of outputs) or like this (20 outputs).

All you need to do is to add a relay with driver like this , one for each channel. Then you need to wire up the relay outputs to the car's/trailer's light system.

Lenp

Sep 8, 2009
Depending on the number of circuits to be tested, a small would be the best answer.
All the timing and sequences could be set in software rather than in hardware, and the price/size would be less. I can help wit the programming if needed, just contact me!
Len

rapidrelays

Feb 15, 2013
Paul,
Another idea for you might be to check out a wireless 4 button remote with relays so when you are on each side you can test the lights by pressing each one of the buttons. Lots of people ask for these to control anything on cars or trucks, lighting, radio, amps etc... See our Wireless Relays

Marlon1980

Feb 13, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for your fast replies guys!

I have to admit I'm a little lost with your replies, I think I may be out of my depth a little in trying to make this circuit! Are there any ways you guys can simplify it for me? As I'm funding it myself I'm looking for the easiest and cheapest option!

Again, Thanks for your help!