Maker Pro
Maker Pro

linear actuator controller, manual or automatic

gordinir8

Apr 13, 2013
Hello everybody, I am not deep in electronics but I have build some circuits in the past, this time I have something that it is beyond me and that is why I am going to need some help. So I have a rear engine car and I want to convert the engine hood be able to open and close depending the of oil temperature. I am thinking to put a linear actuator and depending the oil temperature readings the actuator can move to a specific position until to full open when temp is maximum!! For example if the oil temp is between 60-65 degrees the actuator can move a little, from 65-70 a little more, from 70 and above to full open. I am not sure if there is a programmable option or not. Any ideas about what circuit I have to use?

Ps. my other alternative is to do it manually using a 3 point switch that can run the actuator in a specific position but I would like to study both cases.

Thomas

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Have a look at the simple Radio Controllers servo motor. This is a motorised linkage device whose position is set by the width of a pulse (1mS to 2mS IIRC).
You could make a simple 555 astable with one of the timing elements a thermistor and, with the correct choice of timing capacitor and resistance, the change in temperature could adjus tthe pulse width from 1mS to 2mS over the temperature range you are interested in.

The mechanical linkage between servo and flap is down to yourself.