Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Linear power supply for 100W LED...2 questions.

petelms

Apr 13, 2022
Hello!

I have two questions:

1.) Is it possible to have a linear power supply for 100W led like this Yuji-led? I have only found switching PSUs.

Here's the datasheet:

I would like to get totally rid of the electromagnetic interference and switching power supply. I would need DC-DC PSU, not AC.

2.) Would it be possible to use that 100W Yuji led with two normal 12V batteries (24V)?

Forward voltage seems to be 23V-27V.

What happens if I just put two 12V batteries together to get 24V and put it straight to the 100W led? Do I need some resistor in between?

Thanks!
, Pete.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The simplest form would be a dropper resistor (you can't use a battery directly without one) but this is inefficient due to the heat loss in the dropper resistor - but if that's what you're prepared to accept then go for it!

You can, of course, buy, build (or design) a constant current or constant voltage power supply that is more efficient than a simple dropper resistor.

A 100W LED arrangement would require a current of some 5A from a 24V battery setup that makes the idea of battery operation somewhat questionable if you want to run it for any length of time.

Then again a 'decent' SMPS type power supply should have little noise/interference - you pays your money.......

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
At those prices, one could buy a complete light fitting with all the necessary drivers included.