Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Link to personal blog in signature?

Chris Hill

Apr 17, 2017
As the thread title says - is this allowed.

I run a personal blog, no commerical advertising, on which I post things which might be of interest or use to others interested in electronics. Is it OK to put a link to this blog in my regular signature?

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Hi Chris,

At the moment, we don't allow link signatures for new members (there are some exceptions to this for established members, as we used to have a "VIP" membership status which allowed signatures). However, there is a "homepage" entry available on the member profile (which I can see you have used already), so members can get to personal webpages that way. We may change things in future for regular members, but for the time being we're very light on signatures as it keeps the site content more focused.

Chris Hill

Apr 17, 2017
Hi Chris,

At the moment, we don't allow link signatures for new members (there are some exceptions to this for established members, as we used to have a "VIP" membership status which allowed signatures). However, there is a "homepage" entry available on the member profile (which I can see you have used already), so members can get to personal webpages that way. We may change things in future for regular members, but for the time being we're very light on signatures as it keeps the site content more focused.

OK, thanks, that's clear. How about a link to a blog post or page in answer to a specific question?

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
There's no rules in place about that, however we would be wary if someone only posted links to their own site, or answered a question on their own site, rather than replying to the forums. If it's occasional and relevant, then it's fine. It's understandable that you'd like to drive traffic to your blog, but using the forums as a vehicle for this isn't the way to do this, we're a community where the help is given via replies and discussion for the most part.

Chris Hill

Apr 17, 2017
There's no rules in place about that, however we would be wary if someone only posted links to their own site, or answered a question on their own site, rather than replying to the forums. If it's occasional and relevant, then it's fine. It's understandable that you'd like to drive traffic to your blog, but using the forums as a vehicle for this isn't the way to do this, we're a community where the help is given via replies and discussion for the most part.

That's fair enough, and I can understand your wish to avoid such behaviour. Not trying to nit-pick here, just getting a clear idea of what is and isn't acceptable.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Each of the moderators probably have guidelines which are at slight variance. My general rule is that if the link is in direct answer to a question, directly answers the question, and is something that a disinterested third party might post, I'm OK with it.

However, if someone were to answer a question on their personal blog and then posted a link to it, I'm sure we would all very much frown on that. (not that I'm suspecting you might do that)

I'm also reasonably happy with someone posting one gratuitous link in an introductory post (presuming that posting the link is not the sole reason for joining/posting).

Having said that, here's a direct question. Where might one find the personal blog of Chris Hill? :)

Chris Hill

Apr 17, 2017
Well, since you ask...

http://www.learningmicros.blog

The blog is mainly about my attempts to learn embedded programming. However in the "Pages" section on the right I am also posting various other bits and pieces which might be useful. I think the Laplace stuff might definitely be of interest, the thermal stuff perhaps less so.