Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Livid 's brain jr. Weird noob question sorry

Dj1210

Mar 6, 2015
Right I don't no if I can explain this right lol, I have a normal fully working dj mixer, now like all dj mixers the crossfader is replaceable and has three wires connecting it, I think thats earth, power and signal. Now I've seen a few homemade dj midi controllers using a midi board called "livid brain jr." so if I soldered another 3 wires ontop of the original wires with these new wires going to the "brain jr." would this work or can u just not wire things up like that?? The idea being I can midi map the crossfader to programs on the pc like ableton live or traktor anything midi and still have my much loved mixer? Hate being the noob asking silly questions but I watched a little vid on YouTube on how to build a dj midi controller and it kind light a spark lol

Dj1210

Mar 6, 2015
I think I've got my question right lol can u use a potentiometer to send a signal to two things? I.e. The original signal inside my mixer and a second signal to the brain jr. Midi device and how would u wire this up I.e. Can a potentiometer handle the it's original power and the extra power from the brain jr. Or would I just use the one extra wire from the signal conection to the brain jr. Is that any more sensible??

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there

sorry no one has responded to your queries
They are probably in the same position as me, with not having any knowledge of your particular bit of gear
and without knowing lots more about it, cannot offer any reasonable options :(

a belated welcome to EP :)

cheers
Dave

Dj1210

Mar 6, 2015
Hi there m8 thanks for getting back to maim going to jump on the computer after and maybe do a few doodles of what I want and then maybe a design can be formed :)
P.s. Are links allowed on here?
Many thanks

hi there

sorry no one has responded to your queries
They are probably in the same position as me, with not having any knowledge of your particular bit of gear
and without knowing lots more about it, cannot offer any reasonable options :(

a belated welcome to EP :)

cheers
Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
no prob with links
they would be helpful to see what the gear is that you are talking about etc :)

Dj1210

Mar 6, 2015
no prob with links
they would be helpful to see what the gear is that you are talking about etc :)

ok first up a short and dull video on what the brain jr. is and what it is for

builder01_1200x900.jpg

so thats the brain, dead simple yea? conect stuff like potentiometers to it and plug the usb to a laptop then programs on the laptop can map the potentiomiters so if u move the dial the pc responds

now here is my gorgeous mixer with the crossfader that i want to mod/hijack circled

mackie_D2%20crossfader.gif

and a picture of the actual crossfader nick named " scratchy "

d2pro_infinium.jpg

and here is a pic of a scratchy someone has placed in another mixer ( u can see the the three conecting wires in this picture i think there power,earth,signal

scratch%20in%20place.jpg

so can i just attach another 3 wires to the ones on the right of the picture above and then into the brain leaving the crossfader fully working but also sending signal to the brain?

fire away with any question

and many thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK thanks for that :)

That's out of my league, maybe some one here, with that info supplied, can offer some help ? :)

Dave

Dj1210

Mar 6, 2015
OK thanks for that :)

That's out of my league, maybe some one here, with that info supplied, can offer some help ? :)

Dave

nor me lol i no music not electrics, but here is a look at rwhat ive been muling over in my weird mind ( i dont think this has been done by anyone befor )

1) if i nick the signal will there be 50% less at both the mixer and and the brain jr.

2) hooking up the brain will double the amount of power to the crossfader will that burn it out?

3) what if i just connected the signal wire to the brain? would the brain even work?

4) what about halfing the power to the crossfader from the mixer and halfing the power from the brain to the crossfader is that what a resistor's job?

once again many thanks for taking the time

Dj1210

Mar 6, 2015
:) good news, i might have found part of my solution, there is such a thing in the world as " dual-gang " potentiomiters i never new these things excisted so if i can find a really good quality dual gang crossfader like the one below ( note the 2x ground 2x power 2x signal connections ) i should be able to connect the brain jr. to the dual gang connections. im not in the clear yet but im definatly wandering in the right direction on finding out if this is viable or not

rane-ttm5657-fader_1024x1024.jpg