Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LMV721 op-amp behaviour

Kinshoro

Feb 18, 2010
help please... I am using an opamp lmv721.... the opamp is being used for a mic preamp.... the problem is when I connect nothing to the positive or negative terminal of the opamp I should get 0v as output... but I am always getting the supply voltage as output... is there anything wrong with the opamp......

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
No, that's perfectly normal for those conditions. If not for the input offset current it might behave ideally, like your statement would require.
You'll have to connect the positive input to 0V and the output to the negative input to see if it's ok. Output should then differ no more than a few mV from the positive input.

Kinshoro

Feb 18, 2010
ok..... but shouldn't there be a output if there is a change or difference in the negative or positive terminal..... now when I connect the positive terminal with 1.1v ac source I dont get any output... my opamp is being used as a non-inverting amplifier.... so the positive and negative terminal of the opamp should have equal voltages.... but the negative end of my opamp has 0V while the postive end has 1.1V.. is the opamp not working as it should???

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Are you refering to this diagram in your other thread?
What kind of power supply are you using, what impedance is your 1.1V AC source, and what kind of bias are you applying to the positive input?

neon

Oct 21, 2006
when you disconnect the inputs there is no more feedback so it will take the input offset polarity and slew to the rails