Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Locking controls?

Headshot119

Nov 17, 2010
Hey guys.

I'm new here so this is my first question.

I'm in the stages of planning a circuit to switch Various 240V bulbs on from a remote panel. The switching part I'm ok with, however I need to be able to do the following.

1) Set the state of the bulbs; either one white and one red on, or two red on. I'll use a toggle switch, or latched push to make to trigger a relay.

2) The "control panel" will need to have three states: On, Off, On with controls disabled.

Basically if the panel is to be left unattended I want to be able to keep the bulbs state to how they have been set, but for the buttons to not toggle the state.

I can't get my head round a simple way to achieve this.

Many thanks for your help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm having some trouble understanding your exact requirements, but it sounds like you understand how to do (1). I would have thought that a locked cover over the switch would be a solution to (2).

Headshot119

Nov 17, 2010
Sorry Steve I haven't really described myself very well.

Although a cover over the switches might be the simplest solution it isn't particularly practical in the application of the circuit. I'd prefer a simple electrical method of disabling the switches, but I am not sure on how to achieve this.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, you could use another switch, but what do you use to stop people from playing with that? Another switch?

Perhaps you can use keyswitches that allow you to remove the key in any position.

Or do you want it to be rendered inactive from a remote location?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
When I do this, I use a multi-level rotary switch. That way you can wire the different indicators to turn on or off, in relation to the circuit configuration. I don't know your circuit, but I've found if I want one circuit to be doing something, then switch to another circuit, I want the first circuit to change indication. That's most easily done with wiring a multi-level rotary switch.
Good luck on the project.