Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Locking DC Power Socket

rowan.bradley

May 11, 2009
Hi,

I am looking for a suitable plug/socket combination to supply 9V DC power at about 3A to a unit from a "power brick". The normal cylindrical type of connector is not appropriate for me because these systems must operate for years on end without failing, and I believe that a locking or latching connector is required, that can't be inadvertently unplugged or dislodged by someone carelessly moving things around. If this happens, the system will be non-functional and a service call will be required. I am therefore looking for a connector that cannot be accidentally dislodged, and that will take the voltage and current, and that is still reasonably cheap and easy to fit. One side will be on the end of the cable. The other will either be PCB mounting or panel mounting (I haven't decided whether to add a PCB for this yeti.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Rowan

sureshot

Jul 7, 2012
Try XLR or XLR mini often used for low voltage dc locking as well. Also available in number of poles.

rowan.bradley

May 11, 2009
Thanks for your ideas. There are a few I've not seen before that I will investigate. I think for this application, some kind of Molex-style moulded plastic body, with crimp or screw terminal connections, and plastic clips at the side for the locking mechanism, will be best. I think the cost and complexity of a metal bodied connector is not really justified. Ideally I need some sort of strain relief on the free socket that will go on the end of the cable. This will mate with a PCB mounting vertical plug.

Thanks - Rowan

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Last edited:

rowan.bradley

May 11, 2009
Thanks for referring me to the Deutsch connectors. I was not previously aware of these. Actually in this application I don't need this level of environmental protection, but it's still worth knowing about these connectors.

Thanks - Rowan