Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for a 1.5" color LCD!

24Volts

Mar 21, 2010
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find a 1.5" color LCD (approximate resolution 176 x 132) with built in controller with MCU interface capabilities. I will interface this LCD with a PIC 32.

I had found one from Optrex, but they told me that it is obselete.

Any other suggestions is appreciated.

Regards
Ross

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
That is the type of thing you may be able to find at sparkfun.com

---55p

24Volts

Mar 21, 2010
Hi 55Pilot, thanks for your reply!

I checked sparkfun, but don't seem to have a 1.5" LCD with approximately 176x132 pixels.

Okay, the search for a 1.5" TFT LCD is pretty hopeless, I have looked everywhere... so I will probably try for the next common size up which is an 1.8".

Lets say I opt for the following LCD:

http://www.newhavendisplay.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2214

The controller is an "ILI9163" and I believe its an MCU interface for that matter.

I never used a graphics library, and therefore I was wondering if you would be able to suggest a C graphics library I can use in my PIC32 that would be compatible to this controller? I was thinking of easyGUI but I don't see much documentation or sample manuals I can follow and learn with. What do you think about EasyGUI ?

If you have any suggestions, please get back ... standing by!

Thanks for your help.

Ross

Last edited:

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
I have no idea about graphics libraries. Whatever little graphics functions I have ever needed, I have always written from scratch. I am not sure where to direct you except to forums that are specific to programming and specifically graphics programming. You may want to try the Microchip's forum about the PIC32.

The ILI9163 looks like an interesting chip. The register interface seems a little intimidating, but it is actually not bad if you are familiar with the basics.

I think I am at the limit of what I can help you with.

Good luck.

---55p

24Volts

Mar 21, 2010
Hi 55Pilot,

>Whatever little graphics functions I have ever needed, I have always written from scratch
Well same here. Just wondering though if one day I will ever need to do antialiasing or alpha graphics I would probably think I would be better off with a GL.

I thank you very much for your insight.

Regards
Rob

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
When you need to do alpha blending or anti-aliasing, then you can worry about a graphics library. Why waste your time today for something you may need tomorrow. Do what is best for today and the foreseeable near future.

Even when you need those functions, check out the algorithms. Depending upon the particular graphics hardware you are working with, it may make more sense to write your own than integrating a library just for those functions. Anti-aliasing is not that hard to do.

---55p