Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for a Good Introductory Communication Theory book

nndhawan

Oct 27, 2012
Hi I am Software Engineer Level 1, as you might guess from my job title my degree was not geared towards the fundamentals of electrical engineering. Although I don't have an EE background, I have delved into electronics because I do a lot of low-level embedded work and I find it interesting/fun. Weird I know, anyways though the type of work I do involves digital communication and I have been searching the web for a good book on comm theory so I can pick up and get a footing on this subject. I just want to be able to understand the concepts that keep getting thrown around over my head during meetings. I am not expected to know this information so no one is bothered if a SW1 gets what's being said on the physical side of things so long as he can code. So due to this I don't get to learn as much as I'd like even though I know for a fact that I see comm theory concepts on a daily basis and don't know it (because well... I don't know it!)

So I am looking for recommendations for a comm theory book that is succinctly written for the busy engineer who is learning on the job. I don't need a academia-type book that is 300+ pages but something quick and dirty because I don't have that kind of time but I am looking for a practical/concept intensive book that can help me get the most out of the job I am doing.

My goal is not to just know how to do software but also to understand other disciplines and become a more well rounded engineer. Thanks for any input the community can provide! :)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Electronic Communications Systems, George Kennedy.
It's a college-level textbook that's been a staple in classes for over thirty years, and for
good reason. I'm suggesting this because it introduces you to a little bit of everything in
the field, and there are so many of them out there (used and new), it's easy to find, and
a plethora of information on most every system used. And because it's so easily accessible,
you can get great information in a used book, cheap.
Good luck.