Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for a LED boost converter

Wimbley

Apr 23, 2011
I'm new to the world of HB LEDs, and I'm looking for something to drive a 10W LED from a 3.6v lithium source. I've come across the LM3410, but I'd like to get any recommendations for the proper way to drive such a high power LED before I pull the trigger. Any suggestions?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Look for a LED driver.

You may need to revise your choice of power source depending on what you find.

If you do end up using a Li-Ion (LiPo, LiFe) battery, ensure the circuit will not over-discharge the battery. This is important for many battery types, but rather more critical for these.

The LM3410 seems to fit many of these requirements and looks like it will operate from a single cell. It does not appear to have an undervoltage shutdown, but I did not look in detail.

Also I noted that the max current is 2.8A for that device. You may not get a full 10W to your LED.

Ensure that your Li battery is capable of the current you require. Also ensure that your LED has a good heatsink. Both of these will help ensure a long lifetime for your device.

Wimbley

Apr 23, 2011
Thanks for the advice. Last time I the LED ran it was from a 10v bench supply, with a 2' aluminum heatsink. I'm definitely not planning on hooking it up without a decent heatsink.

I looked up LED drivers, but came up short on ones designed to boost 3.6 to ~ 10v.

Undervoltage was admittedly something I hadn't yet considered, so I'll check up on that.