Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for a suitable universal charger for a variety of electronics

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
So suppose I get a 7v/3a spec on some little thing that needs a lot of current(what are they and why?), but my universal charger gives only 1.5a? Will that just result in the device unable to do something if anything but harm nothing?

I'm now considering getting two, a 3-12v/3-5a one and a 12-24v/6a one. There is one with a big voltage range like 3-24v but I think the max amperage was like 2a. Weak. Won't I be limited with low amps/wattage?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Simple answer is, a universal power supply wont supply all.
If your new adaptor has a current limit of 1.5A, your 3A device wont work. It may show signs of life, but under pressure, wont perform. Your 1A device is happy all day.
This is why I said “ maximum voltage” and Maximum current” in so many words.
The higher the amperage, the more current you have. Ie: 1.5A. Vs 3A.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
It seems like it would be better to me to have something battery powered to take to the device rather than expect the seller to let you take it out to your vehicle where you have a power inverter and AC powered supply.

What I would do, using parts I'm familiar with, is start out with an 18V cordless tool battery I already have, then look for the cheapest host case (tool) for it, whether a new flashlight or something broken "for parts" on ebay or used at a pawn shop. This gives you not just the case but the battery interface.

I'd stuff something like this buck regulator module in it, add a short length of wire and whatever connector you need for the set of multiple plugs (like those you linked) use, and add a switch to reverse polarity. The module below is rated for roughly 4V loss so a fully charged 18V tool battery (@ 21V) would give you 17V out for a brief period or 16V and below for much longer. It's 5A continuous or 8A short term (till it heats up).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Digi...r-Supply-Module-5-36V-to-1-3-32V/392156620360
There are probably cheaper sellers of this module, I'm just linking it as an example of type.

There are also cheaper buck modules, with just a little potentiometer screw, or without a display, and they're smaller too, but a bit more fiddly to use if you need a screwdriver and/or multimeter every time you want to change the voltage, though digital panel meters aren't very expensive, you could just mount one on the casing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Wire-Dig...olt-Panel-Meter-Gauge-DC-4-5-30V/283896090837

Last edited:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ Of course not, what did I miss?
I read "charger" and now it's not charger. I read batteries and now it's not batteries!
Well okay, I read "I wanna take these things along with aa/aaa batteries when I go out shopping /sourcing to test stuff before buying (then having to return half of it)." and if you just put a magnet on one (positive) end and an alligator clip on the other (negative), what I proposed would replace batteries too.

What am I missing? If I'm selling stuff, people aren't walking off with it to their car to try it out with an AC/DC supply... I'd never see them again, lol.