Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for help finding/searching for a "inline DC power plug & jack"

JackP

May 8, 2017
This is really dumb! I just spent the last hour looking on Amazon, Mauser, PartsExpress and ebay for a part. I must be using the wrong wording terminology as my searches are coming up with very few good hits.

I'm looking to repair the broken USB power cable on my wife's eye mask heater (when I replaced the USB wire I had to find a USB cable with 20AWG wire as 22AWG wasn't supplying enough current for the device to properly heat up). I need to put a male & female connector on the new USB cable to join it with the little in-line timer controller for the heater.

As I said, my original searches for "coaxial DC power plug and jack inline" (solder on) came up with almost no good hits. Is is there better wording to use? I would also be open to another type of in-line, non shorting, light weight connector to use to join the wires. Was thinking maybe RCA.

* side note - I started out with a pair of DC power plugs M/F that I had in my spare parts. The female connector was so junky that even the slightest amount of solder heat made the center pin spin and it never made a reliable connection with the other connector. So whatever the solution I use I need something that wont disconnect every time she breathes!

Thanks

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
The current capability for a USB connector is not only its wire gauge. It is the source circuitry.
If the subject item has a battery, its USB cable is likely meant for charging, not for operation.
If you are after any sturdy in-line connector for DC, there is many. The larger current capable are XLR, speakeon, MC4... Search under those terms and pick your flavor.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Or of course, some JST connectors?.
An image search for JST or JST type connectors brings up a multitude.
But you might get more help from the forum members if you include the number of wires and the current requirement from the device.

Martin

JackP

May 8, 2017
The unit is USB wall charger powered. I could measure it's current draw, but I was just saying that originally I just cut the USB plug & wire off of a old keyboard (22AWG) and although it worked it didn't heat up enough. I purchased a USB plug/cable with 20AWG and it now heats up fully.

I looked at your suggestions of XLR, Speakeon, and MC4. I think these are way overkill. I want to keep the wire light and non bulky. More along the lines of my original post (coaxial DC power plug and jack inline). Something of good quality that wont disconnect every time the wire shakes. I just cant find any female inline connectors for some reason.

JST are not a bad idea, aesthetically not the best look. Also I didn't mention in my original post that she plugs in in several locations. It is difficult to get to the actual USB power cube to plug and unplug as some of the location are behind furniture, so she unplugs from the end of my "2' jumper wire"

[ USB power cube] <------ 2' Jumper Wire -----{inline jack} {inline plug}------------------------[Eye heating device]

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Ok, still don’t know how many wires but will presume 4 as you used two DC jacks.
What about mini XLR or locking din connectors?. Much better on the eye!.

Martin

JackP

May 8, 2017
It only needs 2 wires (power only). The actual cable it pretty thin about the thickness of a USB KB cable. I would like to retain the same "feel" as it is now. Mini XLR & locking din are still pretty heavy. Even the metal RCA M/F are a bit much. If I could find good quality solder on M/F RCA that would probably suffice. Even the junky quality RCA cables that come with every piece of home equipment would be ok if I could find them in solder-on type. The solder-on RCA that I keep seeing are really extra junky, especially the female part

FYI this is the device https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Season...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

JackP

May 8, 2017
I though about that myself, except it shorts when you plug it in.

JackP

May 8, 2017
Thanks for the links. I ordered a few items. Hopefully one will do the job.
I was surprised to see how few good hits those digikey searches produced as well.