Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for new soldering station

Pentode

Oct 18, 2016
I'm drooling over buying a Weller WT1012 80W soldering station, this a uses a WSP80 iron with LT tips. Right now I'm at six's and seven's, been reading about Weller quality as of late and their poor quality LT tip problems, my way of thinking these *could be* from Ebay.... "Oh dear, I thought"

So, has anyone 'hands on' experience these Weller WSP80 iron's, obviously I will be buying from a reputable dealer.

I very nearly got an Atten AT80 station but learned at the last minute they are NOT temperature controlled, having only three wires in the soldering pen, one earth and the other two carrying the power to the heating element, I guess the sensing is done by monitoring the element current through a shunt resistor in the base unit. I put this to RS Components and they agreed, I learned from them that Tenma is the same company and they are the same. I did read there was some complaints that they wouldn't even melt solder until turned fully up, I immediately thought of the result of using Solder wick to remove a component, the tip cooling off and ripping the copper print, it was then I turned to Weller because I wanted to give a wide berth to these kind of heating control.

Guidance and any advice would be welcomed, for some reason the Hakko although very good it seems just doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks, Dave

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Here's the input of a Weller WT1012 with WSP80 user, who has recently upgraded to their WD1 with a WSP80 handle.
1) temperature accuracy is very good and there is a good variety of solder tips to choose from
2) they're darned expensive
3) when they stop working, you will play hell getting any help from Weller, ...at all
4) if you can find somebody who'll fix it, you will pay through the nose for the repair.

My input is to evaluate your application. If you require precision temperature control, the Weller is your candidate.
If you go used, there is probably a reason why the seller wants to get rid of it, as anybody who paid for a new one
will not part with it without good reason.

Pentode

Oct 18, 2016
Hi, thank you for the reply.

The first Weller I was looking at was a WD1 station, then decided to look at the newer ones. Sorry I'm a little confused, did you upgrade the WD1 from another brand or was it the actual WT1012? I did note they used the same pen, while the WT1013 uses the dearer iron the WP80, this I understand has a shorter tip to grip length and uses the LT tips which works out at about £5, guess that would be a little over $6 depending on the tip type.

The shop where I was 'hoping' to purchase only deals with Weller equipment and soldering aids etc.

Being a Radio ham I make and build pcbs along with repairing radio gear and TV's etc. I know there are plenty of cheaper stations out there, just that I was hoping that Weller would last.... I initially nearly bought a Atten ST80 at the very last minute I learned it wasn't what you and I would call temperature controlled - there is no sensor in the iron, I guess it monitors the element current through as shunt resistor, there was reports of them not melting solder when turned fully on....! You can well imagine what would happen if I was de soldering a component with solder wick and the tip cooled off so that's when I turned to Weller.

I am aware it's not the brand that makes a good soldered joint but the user and the tip size, as well as temperature of course. There's no immediate rush to buy.

Thanks again, Dave

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I wasn't happy with the WT1012. Died in less than a year. If it's a 'new' model, maybe I just got one of the initial run that didn't have all the bugs worked-out. The price of repair was not worth it to me. I consider
the WD1 an upgrade. I know other guys with them, maybe the mfgr has had more time to 'fix' any problems it may have had when it first hit the market. There are a wide variety of tips available for the WSP 80 handle. (24V 80W).
I'm HOPING enough design fixes, that it'll last. Excellent temperature control.
Didn't hear of any complaints from others with the WD1. (yet, anyway).
There are other Ham's on this forum like you and me. Maybe they'll offer their opinion in following posts(?)