Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for Replacement 4700 uf 25v Capacitor to Fit My Subwoofer

ssyoda

Apr 23, 2022
The radial capacitors for my sub blew, and I'm having the hardest time finding a replacement that is going to fit the board. The board has two capacitors, Jun Fu manufacture, with a diameter of 8mm and lead spacing of 4mm. The capacitors are right next to each other, so the fit needs to be almost perfect. When I've been looking at supplier websites the smallest diameter I can get is 12mm. There's no way that's going to fit! I know lead spacing isn't always a major issue, but the minimum spacing I'm finding is 5mm.

Any help would be nice

Attachments

• capacitor.jpg
    capacitor.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 15

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The board is drilled for different pin spacing - what is the widest?

The major suppliers usually have a decent range of capacitors to chose from and they will give all the necessary sizes. Have you checked the likes of Mouser, Farnell, RS etc?

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Assuming that height is not a problem, you may be able to fit an axial lead type (below) by standing it vertically.
It may require splicing a wire to the top lead to make it long enough to reach the board hole, but wire length is not a factor in the application of this capacitor.
upload_2022-4-23_10-39-49.png

ssyoda

Apr 23, 2022
The widest pin spacing is drilled for 4mm. The smallest is 3.5mm. The challenge here is the spacing between the capacitors. As you can see it's very tight. The white painted spots are almost exactly 8mm in diameter. I have not found any supplier with electrolytic radial capacitors for 4700 uf that are less than 12mm in diameter. I really feel like I'm missing something in my search, because how could a manufacture build a board with a capacitor whose dimensions are super duper specific?

Edit: I know there's gotta be a source that'll have it, because I just ran across some miniaturized ones with a cap size of 1.6cm.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Smaller caps may have a shorter operating life than the larger ones.
If you go with an axial lead device, you might also consider a slightly higher voltage device (e.g. 35V) to help improve reliability.

ssyoda

Apr 23, 2022
Well, looking at mouser, axial aluminum caps for a 4700uf capacity start at 18mm. At that point, I'm going to be mounting these at an angle. That's not going to work. I've been looking on an off for over four months for a replacement, and it's getting really annoying.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There comes a point where you have to adapt to what you can get your hands on. As mentioned above, there is no electrical reason why the capacitors have to be situated in that specific place so finding 'anything' that fits - probably axial - and fitting fly-leads to reach the mounting holes is probably the only solution.

It's not as if they are 'on view' to the public after all........

crutschow

May 7, 2021
At that point, I'm going to be mounting these at an angle
I'm sure the capacitors will work fine at an angle.
I know ascetically you want it to look like the original, but since it's not normally seen, why worry about how it looks?

ssyoda

Apr 23, 2022
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I think I have the information I need.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
There has to be a reason if the caps failed. Have you checked D204, D205 and ZD202 ?

ssyoda

Apr 23, 2022
I figured it was just age. The sub is just over 20 yrs old. This is the first time repairing a board. That link leads to circuit breaker. So, it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn how to test the components.