Maker Pro
Maker Pro

looking for rotary switch or pantometer that works via USB HID class

coly

Feb 23, 2017
Hi,

I am looking for a rotary switch/encoder or a pantometer that works via the USB HID class. So for each position of the rotary switch it should output a unique string via USB? I'll need a switch/ pantometer and a board that translates the serial input into USB (HID class - cause I cannot install any drivers on the media-computer I am using). Ideally 10 or more positions.

An alternative would be a rotary switch that ouputs GPIO data, in that case I would of course only have 8 distinct positions.

Some words about what I intend to do: I want to create some sort of "wheel". If its turned it should trigger videos/images on a media-computer. As already mentioned: I cannot install any drivers, but the computer works with USB HID devices and also has GPIO. Until now I am doing exact the same thing with an USB RFID sensor - it works fine, but could cause some trouble, because the RFID tags aren't read correctly each time, so I thought about doing it with a mechanical switch.

I have looked quite a while now, but couldn't find anything useful. Does anyone know products to do that?
Thanks a lot

coly

Feb 23, 2017
hi bob,

thank you for taking time to answer. A mouse wouldn't do it. I need unique inputs (strings via serial or USB) or GPIO inputs. The system I want to work with is a BrightSign player (brightsign.biz). They have a bunch of interactive options. I need to work with it, because I need absolute stability and realiability with video playback, so thats my choice of system. I already worked with it using push-buttons, infrared motion sensors, RFID sensors, pressure mats and so on. But I never used rotary switches, now I need one. In the end it should work like a steering wheel, with different postions of the wheel triggering different video clips.

I could just use the serial interface that I used with my push buttons, but I thought there might be a better solutions (rotary witch/ board combination) that directly outputs a unique string for each position via USB (it has to be HID class).