Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for variable frequency transducers or mini speakers

ahevroni

Aug 27, 2017
Hi all,

I need transducers that can deliver multiple frequencies (e.g. 1000 hz-15000 hz), but all I can find are transducers with fixed frequency. Are there other transducers or are they all fixed frequencies? Other option I have is using small speakers that can deliver high frequencies. Do you know wgghe I can find good ones?

Thanks a lot!!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
That's called a 'loudspeaker' then.

You can use a single wide-range device or a selection (low, mid and high frequency) of speakers and an appropriate cross-over filter.

ahevroni

Aug 27, 2017
Thanks kellys_eye!

I really need simple and cheap loudspeakers. I searched Ebay and only found ones with Bluetooth, which I don't need. Any idea where I can find cheap ones? and also - are there transducers with response range of multiple frequencies?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Unless you have a specific requirement for audio reproduction - measurement, medical, scientific etc - then 'any' speaker set will probably work.

Normally you won't find the detailed specifications of 'cheap' speaker sets other than a statement that indicates (say) 300Hz-18kHz - 'proper' speakers will have a graphed frequency response as part of the technical specifications but then you're into the 'expensive' range of speakers.

Look for a set of old (or new) PC speakers - built-in amplification and power supply and, usually, a decent enough response if you spend more than $5 on them.......

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
You do not want a simple and cheap tweeter, instead you want a "squeaker" that will sound awful.
A piezo transducer makes high audio frequencies. They have many resonances so their frequency response has many high peaks and low valleys.

The graph of the frequency response of a good tweeter is a flat line with no peaks and no valleys. Here is the frequency response of a typical piezo transducer and you can see that it is NOT a straight line:

Attachments

• piezo speaker-Murata.PNG
    piezo speaker-Murata.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 120

ahevroni

Aug 27, 2017
You do not want a simple and cheap tweeter, instead you want a "squeaker" that will sound awful.
A piezo transducer makes high audio frequencies. They have many resonances so their frequency response has many high peaks and low valleys.

The graph of the frequency response of a good tweeter is a flat line with no peaks and no valleys. Here is the frequency response of a typical piezo transducer and you can see that it is NOT a straight line:

Can you tell me where I find such transducers?

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
In Europe, Down Under and North America, piezo transducers are sold at electronic distributors and stores. In Israel you can go online to Farnell Element 14 where they list 449 of them in different sizes and links to their datasheets.

ahevroni

Aug 27, 2017
In Europe, Down Under and North America, piezo transducers are sold at electronic distributors and stores. In Israel you can go online to Farnell Element 14 where they list 449 of them in different sizes and links to their datasheets.
WOW. Thanks!