Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking to make "swoosh box" for elevator doors

mykrowsy

May 30, 2012
Hi all. I'm new here, but really liking the forum for all the diy projects and knowledge available. I have some schooling in electronics, but it's been awhile since I've utilized it, working as a line repair tech for at&t hasn't had me using my evaporating electronics knowledge very much in the last 12 years.

I'm looking to build a box for my uncle's rec room. He acquired some elevator doors and is working on the control panel to open them at present. I told him I'd try and figure out a way to build a little box that plays the Star Trek "swoosh" sound when the door opens, or when the open button is pressed. I've been looking into a couple of wireless door chimes that let you program your own audio file in as the chime sound, but they're a little expensive to buy and hack apart to work with the elevator door panel. I am willing to do so, but I'm hoping to find a more economical solution first. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find some sort of kid's toy that plays audio files, or perhaps one that will record and playback short clips of audio at the push of a button.

That device isn't really what concerns me. What I'm writing here about is how to take the input of the door panel button, and use that to trigger the device that plays the audio file. I know I have some investigation to do as to what kind of signal the panel puts out to tell the door to open when the button is pressed, and also on whatever device i find, how to trigger the sound effect.

Ive done some searching around the internet for this topic, and am surprised I haven't found anything like it out there. If anyone knows of any projects like this out there, please point me in the right direction, or if you have some suggestions as to how to link the two devices together in harmony, please speak up!

Thanks,

Mike

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Radio Shack carries a $10 cheap digital recorder... Nothing to brag about sound wise but cheap and easy to work with... Hook up an amp and you can get decent volume... If you want higher quality audio you will need to invest a little bit more...

To trigger the sound you will simply interface the existing button, but like you said without knowing exactly what it does I can't give you an simple answer...

mykrowsy

May 30, 2012
Radio Shack carries a $10 cheap digital recorder... Nothing to brag about sound wise but cheap and easy to work with... Hook up an amp and you can get decent volume... If you want higher quality audio you will need to invest a little bit more...

To trigger the sound you will simply interface the existing button, but like you said without knowing exactly what it does I can't give you an simple answer...

thanks for the input. i'll look into the door panel a little and see if i can find a trigger source.