Maker Pro
Maker Pro

loudness question

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
out of 8 volts at 8 ohms, and 1 volt at 1 ohms, which would be louder if it came out of a speaker?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Calculate the power. The more power, the louder - same speaker assumed.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Since neither is specified as an AC signal in the audio frequency range, in both cases all you will hear presumably is a click.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Since neither is specified as an AC signal in the audio frequency range, in both cases all you will hear presumably is a click.
True, but the intensity of the click varies with power ;)

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Well I just went to the shop to get some kit, speakers, caps resistors wire and leds.
I got a bit spooked when I got thrown a few blinking leds with the normal ones and I was thinking bowling balls were coming out of the air again.

Apart from that, I set up the speaker with more volts and more ohms, less volts and less ohms and it just came out exactly the same volume...

I'm forever stumped by this electricity.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Did you see the conversation (PM) I started?
(look at the envelope or the messages in the topbar)
In there you will find some links.

Bertus

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Apart from that, I set up the speaker with more volts and more ohms, less volts and less ohms and it just came out exactly the same volume...
How do you suppose we are to know what you are doing or even be able to comment on what you are doing when you don't show a schematic of your circuit? You haven't even replied to the matter of AC or DC being fed to the speaker.
My magic glass globe isn't any help :(

Then again, loudness is a subjective impression. The human ear is only able to discern differences in loudness of about 3 dB or more. 3 dB is equivalent to a factor 2 in power. If the difference in power you deliver to the speaker is less than that, you will not notice a difference in loudness.

On another note: Your original post is about 1 Ω and 8 Ω. Since you seem to be using a single speaker, how do you realize two different impedances? I bet your circuit and math is way off from what you think you are doing.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Power can be calculated with this rule:
Ohm's_Law_Pie_chart.png

Power is not the only thing that matters in loudness.
Also speaker efficiency comes in play:

Bertus

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
I do have a testing rig for it, but I think you guys wouldnt like it, so Ill just keep it to myself...

but... ill give it one shot.
Im successfully cancelling 8 volts with 64 ohms with 1 volt and 8 ohm (the led turns off), just with backwashing the power, so if that works it looks doubtful that 8 volts at 64 ohms is louder...

So with the speaker its not louder, but the power is definitely cancelling with the led test

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I'm afraid I don't understand a word of your (conservatively spoken) "non-technical" writing.
Please keep to established nomeclature and give others a chance to understand you.

I do have a testing rig for it, but I think you guys wouldnt like it, so Ill just keep it to myself...
As you wish, but don't expect any help either.

Your atitude towards the members of this forum and their efforts to help leaves a lot to be desired. You risk being banned from our forum if you don't change your atitude.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Here is an other article on power vs efficiency:

Bertus

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Im successfully cancelling 8 volts with 64 ohms with 1 volt and 8 ohm (the led turns off), just with backwashing the power, so if that works it looks doubtful that 8 volts at 64 ohms is louder...
That is basically technical gibberish, so It's not possible to reply with any kind of coherent answer.