Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Low cost electric skateboard?

lorenzo

Nov 27, 2016
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum!

I'm trying to build an electric skateboard, but I want it to be cheap.
All the tutorials online for DIY electric skateboards involve highly powerful motors, and I get that it's what you need to drive very fast and uphill, but that's not what I'm looking for.
This is more of a personal fun project, and I dont mind the electric skateboard going slow (my main goal is to save money).

I thought I could make it work with some kind of motor with an H-Bridge, a ESC controller and a remote controller to change the speed while using the skateboard; obviously batteries.

Can you help me understanding how to wire this up? What batteries would I need, and what motor?? Do I need any other components that I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance guys

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
A motor without enough power will run slowly and will soon burn out. The weak motor can have a gearbox or pulley system (or even a chain and sprockets) to increase its torque by slowing down the skateboard.

Don't you want a speed control? It is usually done with a Pulse-Width-Modulation circuit.

lorenzo

Nov 27, 2016
A motor without enough power will run slowly and will soon burn out. The weak motor can have a gearbox or pulley system (or even a chain and sprockets) to increase its torque by slowing down the skateboard.

Don't you want a speed control? It is usually done with a Pulse-Width-Modulation circuit.
Could you give me more details on this please?

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I said that a motor that is too small will be overloaded and will soon burn out unless you add a gearbox or chain and sprockets. Then the motor will run fast near its maximum allowed power but the skateboard will run slowly.

Speed control is usually done with PWM (look it up).

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Do you really need to reverse the direction of travel? If not, you can eliminate the H-bridge and save a dollar :).