Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Low frequency piezoelectric actuation optimization of waveform

loz88888888

Feb 23, 2021
Hi All - I am working on research around selecting the right waveform signal input for a piezoelectric micropump but can't seem to get a consensus on which waveform is most appropriate between trapezoidal or sinusoidal (assuming triangle & saw-tooth seem to be losers here). The application is going to be 3 actuators operated differentially in the 2-5Hz frequency range ~100-150VPP. Throwing in the added joys of microfluidics here, but thats just an added bonus :D Any thoughts / logic around the below would be much appreciated!
  • Power consumption / efficiency
  • Deflection
  • Hysteresis
  • Noise
  • Flow rate
  • Cavitation

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
Horses for courses? If the main criterion is pumping at maximum pressure and flow rate I would have thought a square-wave voltage excitation would be the most effective and certainly the simplest. If the main criterion is achieving non-pulsatory flow, then trapezoidal or sinusoidal excitation would presumably be better.

loz88888888

Feb 23, 2021
Thank you sir! Yes totally agree and after I sent it realized it was way too general lol
Get that from a high level, maybe i will try some more specific questions. And please feel free to just direct me to sources of info as not looking for spoon feeding, just can't seem to find definitive answers from literature...yet!
- how would you go about calculating the efficiency difference between the different types of waves? I assume square will be less efficient given the square relationship between power and VPP when dealing with a capacitor type load (might be thinking about this wrong)
- Does waveform affect hysteresis behavior of PZT actuation (materially)?