Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Low Pass filter and Schmitt trigger

Alex_Bam

Sep 28, 2020
Hello
I am recovering the PWM message signal at the demodulator side of the system. In the attached schematics you can see Low pass filter which filters high frequency, then the signal is fed to Schmitt trigger to retrieve the message signal. I aimed to design the whole system on IC 350nm technology, in which it's preferred to use small size and fewer components. I would like to know:

alex_s_t_inv.JPG

1) Is there any alternative for LPF, which perform the same job, with a small and fewer component? Especially I am concerned about dealing with a large resistor while implementing LPF on the IC chip.

2) Second, Is there any best alternative to my Schmitt trigger design, with fewer components?

Thanks in advance.

Moderatots note : inverted the colors for better readability and posted inline

Attachments

• s_t.JPG
    s_t.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 9
  • wave.JPG
    wave.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
s there any alternative for LPF, which perform the same job, with a small and fewer component? Especially I am concerned about dealing with a large resistor while implementing LPF on the IC chip.
Implementing resistors and capacitors on an IC is prone to inaccuracy. Modern circuits use switched capacitor technology to emulate the resistor by one or more capacitors and switches. The advantage is that the filter frequency is defined by:
1) A capacitor ratio, which can be adjusted and fabricated to a much higher precision than a resistor and a capacitor.
2) The switching frequency. Thus you can adjust the cutoff frequency of the LP-filter by adjusting the switching frequency.

Is there any best alternative to my Schmitt trigger design, with fewer components?
What is best? I've seen designs using only 4 MOSFETs, but for very low voltage (0.4 V) only and without adjustable threshold. You 6 transistor circuit seems to be the common design scheme.

Alex_Bam

Sep 28, 2020
Implementing resistors and capacitors on an IC is prone to inaccuracy. Modern circuits use switched capacitor technology to emulate the resistor by one or more capacitors and switches. The advantage is that the filter frequency is defined by:
1) A capacitor ratio, which can be adjusted and fabricated to a much higher precision than a resistor and a capacitor.
2) The switching frequency. Thus you can adjust the cutoff frequency of the LP-filter by adjusting the switching frequency.

Thanks for giving me the Switched-Capacitor idea. I will study and try to implement it in my case.