Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Low power app - ZVS Induction Heater

Sam A

Mar 26, 2017
Hello everyone. Please download the photos and schematics at the link below that I reference in my post:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/snhj5yjilqqf22f/ZVS IH.zip?dl=0

I am trying to recreate the 120W ZVS induction heater module that I've been using to test pancake coils for my senior project [attachment 1-3]. Connecting the module to a 12V 2A power supply, I can achieve the desired range of temperatures 34-38 degrees C in my workpiece. While I haven't been able to find the exact schematic for the 120W version online, I found one for a 500W circuit [attachment 4]. It looks like the module has the same components as the induction heater circuit schematic and I am assuming they are connected the same. I was able to put together a list of parts from the numbers on the components, with the exception of the zener diode [attachment 5].

I bought similar parts, but non-surface mounted, and wired them together [attachments 6-7]. I did size up on the ratings of the components, thinking that if the parts were rated higher it wouldn't affect the performance of the circuit...I may be wrong about that. I've included the datasheets for the components in my circuit [attachment 8]. Could anyone take a look at the ratings and let me know if there is something that I am missing?

When I hook my built circuit up to the same power supply there is no change in temperature at the workpiece. I measured the input voltage hooked up to the load and it is around 500 mV. When I had tested the same coil with the built module, the input voltage stays right around 12V when it is turned on. I am guessing my built circuit is pulling more amps than what the power supply is rated. My question is why is this the case? Did I make some kind of error in choosing the components so that my circuit is pulling more amps? Could there be issues because I breadboarded the circuit instead of soldering the parts together?

I had eventually wanted to alter the circuit so that I could slightly increase the current through the coil so that I could increase the distance between the workpiece and the coil. The largest power supply that I have is rated for 12V 3A so I wouldn't be able to go over a supply current of 3A.

What are your thoughts?